Books/authors that tickle your fancy?

I may sound a little narrow minded by saying this, but that has never stopped me…in any event I am genuinely interested in books that ENTJ’s find interesting. When it comes to reading, I used to enjoy fiction books but now I kind of view them as a waste of time. I need books that I can apply to my everyday shenanigans and whatnot. Some of these books include topics such as psychology, sociology, chemistry, quantum theory, martial arts, instrument theory, languages, and applicable theories in general. So I am asking if you have any recommendations as to authors…specifically book references would be appreciated.
( some fantastic books I have already encountered)
The 33 strategies of War
The definitive book of body language
Do what you are (MBTI)
All feedback is appreciated….or that remains to be seen :wink:

Novels are worth reading if they are able to open your mind to new understanding and they are an easy way to aquire knowledge. Once I start a book I have to finish it so I get pretty cross if I’ve picked a bad book. I usually go for classic novels because the fact that they have stood the test of time usually means they have something decent in them. I like reading fact books too.

Best novels:
War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
The Master And Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov
The Rainbow - D. H. Lawrence
The House of the Spirits - Isabel Allende
A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera
The Beautiful and Damned - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
The Great Divorce - CS Lewis

Best fact:
Mao: The Unknown Story - Jung Chang
Gomorrah - Roberto Saviano
Mere Christianity - CS Lewis

I have the book “The unbearable lightness of being”. I have read 75% of the book and cannot bring myself to read the rest of it. The plot is only so so, but I understand that its not about the plot but the writer’s take on life, love and philosophy, as well as this concept of lightness. All that doesn’t resonate and me and I just don’t see the point. What is this lightness he refers? Perhaps you can enlighten me on what this means to you. I also will add that I do not get Anna Kerenina, Tolstoy, realism in literature and 19th century literature isn’t my cup of tea.

Novels I like:
Brave new world - Aldus Huxley
Animal farm
The good earth - Pearl Buck
Ender’s game - Orson Scott Card
Ender’s shadow - Orson Scott Card (I think Bean is an ENTJ)
The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton
All novels and plays by Oscar Wilde
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
Dune
Aerodynamics of Pork - Patrick Gale

I read a lot of non fiction, anthropology, neo darwinism, Richard Dawkins, some psychology, sociology, personal growth, astronomy, whatever I am interested in, howtos, business and finance books. Right now I am chomping my way through 101 philosophy. For light reading and entertainment I like science fiction and fantasy, particularly urban fantasy, I will pass on the genre called “chick fiction” - Confessions of a shoppaholic by Sophie Kinsella.

I’ve found this to have merit. It allows for a different perspective to be presented, other than your own. For example, I hated A Confederacy of Dunces, but the proposition Toole makes that everyone can be forgiven has been received. It gives your mind exercise, which is healthy.

I typically read what people would consider “classics.” I figure if it’s still mentioned several years after it was published, then it’s worth checking out. Here are a few of mine:

Catch-22 by Joseph Keller
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
Night by Elie Wiesel
Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children’s Crusade: A Duty-Dance with Death by Kurt Vonnegut
Native Son by Richard Wright (outstanding storyline, actually)

The “classics” won’t always be winners. Forster’s A Room with a View bored me to tears, and Joyce just sets me off. He was intentionally trying to be obtuse, and that didn’t sit well with me.