Characteristics of highly intelligent people

socyberty.com/society/if-doctors ... -so-messy/

The main topic of the article is that highly intelligent people have messy handwriting...
The following list is of other traits that highly intelligent people tend to exhibit.

1. Smaller families
  2. Lower meat intake
  3. Spay/neuter pets
  4. Desire to share what they know
  5. Lack of belief in God/Religion
  6. Not neat freaks
  7. Tend to be unhappy
  8. Prefer to create without rules or guidelines
  9. Enjoy being outside (not necessarily meaning they are outdoorsy people)
  10. Likely to be philanthropic

***The article refers to its findings as facts found through research, but no citations can be found.
What do you guys think?

-My handwriting looks like an average person's handwriting after they consume amphetamines.... lol

1. Smaller families
    -N/A yet, but 2 or 3 kids when the time comes

2. Lower meat intake
    -Generally average I would guess

3. Spay/neuter pets
    -Yes

-Yes

-Completely

6. Not neat freaks
    -I'm generally organized, but my home isn't immaculate by any means

7. Tend to be unhappy
    -A little bit... I would say that I feel slightly angry for no reason all the time

-I write, draw, and paint on my walls

-Absolutely

-I just ran in a 5K for charity yesterday =)

I don't know if I'd class myself as highly intelligent, assuming that you can reliably define intelligence anyway, but here goes:

1. Smaller families
    I came from a a family of 3 kids but don't plan on having any myself.

2. Lower meat intake
    Higher than average I'd say. I love my meat!

3. Spay/neuter pets
    -Yes

-Yes

I am unimpressed with organised religion, but as far as a belief in God goes, we can't prove it either way so if people want to believe in God then that's fine by me.

6. Not neat freaks
    I'm fussy about a few things, but for the most part I'm pretty messy.

7. Tend to be unhappy
    Not really. On the whole I'm fairly cheery.

Definitely.

10. I do like being on my feet and getting fresh air.

11. Likely to be philanthropic
    I have a soft spot for charities, although I'm too poor to give very much at the moment.

Hmmm, 7/10. Does that make me average do you think?

I had another look through the article. I think what it refers to as "smart people" are introverted thinkers with a pre-disposition towards academia. All the talk of of not caring about the details suggests to me that they're talking about intuitives, and ones with some sort of introverted primary function. Also;

That goes against everything I've read about IQ. Generally, one's IQ increases with age and education can help improve it. In fact, the guy who created it did so with a view to intervening in the education of children with a low IQ at an early stage so that he could improve their intelligence.

Of course IQ increases while you're growing up but it stops when you're an adult and later in life it starts to slowly decline.

How else can you create? If you follow rules and guidelines it's not exactly creativity.

-My handwriting is terrible, I am a very fast typist though which I prefer to writing any day. Back in my first few years of school they put my bad handwriting down to laziness and not caring about presentation... Looking back, they were probably right.

1. Smaller families
  2. Just me and my gf of 4 years.

3. Lower meat intake
    -Vegan

4. Spay/neuter pets
    -No

5. Desire to share what they know
    -Yes, in fact it is something I think is very strong trait.

6. Lack of belief in God/Religion
    -Completely

7. Not neat freaks
    -I'm about as unorganised as you can get, but I still know where everything is.

8. Tend to be unhappy
    -Yes, but not about my own life or the people around me. Just the disgusting state of human behaviour and it's lack of care.

9. Prefer to create without rules or guidelines
    -I can draw but rarely do, can paint but never bother. I prefer being creative with my mouse and keyboard.

10. Enjoy being outside (not necessarily meaning they are outdoorsy people)
    -Always have, always will.

11. Likely to be philanthropic
    -Yep, that is me.

I have never taken an IQ test, never felt the need to put a number to something I don't need to measure or quantify. I was always considered intelligent by adults from a very young age and talk like I am twice the age I am. Although it is not something I see myself as, to me I am just capable, logical and independent and have felt like that as far back as I remember.

My handwriting is good enough to gather unsolicited compliments... Usually these are in the form of 'You write like a girl'. heh

1. Smaller families

Only child. Also, I'm 35 and haven't created any replicas just yet.

1. Lower meat intake

Nope. I'm pretty carnivorous. Although, I've been pretty seafood-heavy for a while rather than scarfing down the red meat. No fast food burgers.

1. Spay/neuter pets

Yep. Unless, of course, they happened to be pets I was breeding at the time (Raised some rat terriers a while back).

1. Desire to share what they know

To the point of annoying people.

1. Lack of belief in God/Religion

Check. Don't get me started.

1. Not neat freaks

Not by any stretch of the imagination... though I do have my little OCD moments.

1. Tend to be unhappy

Not anymore. I'm pretty cheerful, nowadays. Through my twenties, though... shersh.

1. Prefer to create without rules or guidelines

The oddness of this one has already been pointed out.

1. Enjoy being outside (not necessarily meaning they are outdoorsy people)

Golf. Yay, golf.

1. Likely to be philanthropic

Yes and no. I'm not a real big source of charity dollars... but I do make my living Healing Sick Babies.

The main topic of the article is that highly intelligent people have messy handwriting...
The following list is of other traits that highly intelligent people tend to exhibit.

My reply: Ugh.. one of the things that irk me about myself. And.. I guess society has dictated since I am a girly girl that I should write.. well, "girlie"- but I don't! My handwriting is probably more indistinguishable than any of the men on this site! I have often thought about maybe going to a "handwriting" class. Yikes!

1. Smaller families
    Not sure yet.

2. Lower meat intake
    Oh.. I'm a major carnivore. So.. I'd say nope to this one.

3. Spay/neuter pets
    Yeah.. when I had time for one.

Always!

Yeah.. science is more logical. I'm a Dr. Spock fan.

6. Not neat freaks
    Only when I want to be!

7. Tend to be unhappy
    Actually, I'm happy mostly all of the time. However, I don't walk into a room and yell out good morning to everyone! I'd say that I am not an "elated" person for no apparent reason. There needs to be an event to de-stabilize me! Ha!

Yeah.. I'm out of the box on a lot of stuff.

Yeah.. love it!! Open air is awesome.

Yep. I have taken on a lifetime of volunteering with disabled kids and adults. I can most definitely sense their thought process.. its a little strange in a way.

Ok. I have to edit a couple of my replies. Because, yes.. I have thought about them. I think that I might have rushed through the process and was not true to self on a few of these.

And, they are:

1. Lack of belief in God/Religion
    Yeah.. science is more logical. I'm a Dr. Spock fan. Yet, I am a spiritual person. I don't follow one seclusive religion. Although I was raised extremely catholic. I do often like to hear about other customs and religions and recently had an interesting conversation with someone who is a Scientoligist. It was a thought provoking conversation. However, I'm not joining in.

2. Not neat freaks
    I'm not really sure if I am or not. So.. I vote, not true! I think I am not necessarily a neat freak.. yet everything has its place and I like order. So, maybe I am?! I might be a neat freak because, if visually something doesn't look quite right, I need to fix/organize it. I am a visual person and details are extremely important to me. I think I'm teetering in the middle.. depending on the day! Ha!

Ok - I don't really believe in this list, but the neat freak point was interesting, like the stuff that ssjuliana is talking about here.

I guess I like order and beauty, I just would rather someone else did it :stuck_out_tongue: But if nobody else will, once in a while I will straighten my stuff out and make it look good/ organized. But most of the time, its nice if someone else helps me with it. :slight_smile:

x

1. Smaller families
    4 kids and should have had more
  2. Lower meat intake
    I love meat
  3. Spay/neuter pets
    No body cuts my dog
    Without question
    Born Again Christian and I Speak in tongues
    The great thing about being an ENTJ is that I do not care how you feel about that!!!
  6. Not neat freaks
    True but I would quickly assign someone else to the task
  7. Tend to be unhappy
    Only slightly
    Can go eiher way
    True
    Yes

I thought this was interesting when I watched it last night. He is obviously a rational, talks fast, and thinks fast… He seems like an angry old man, that really isn’t angry at all.

bigthink.com/jamesrandi

ROFL…this thread in the NT section. ONLY NTs CAN BE SMART. :smiley:

My handwriting is a mess. I blame that on being a lefty though.

1. Smaller families
    -I don’t want kids, and marriage? ehhhh…neh. So, check.

2. Lower meat intake
    -Check. (Vegan)

3. Spay/neuter pets
    -Check. (Common sense, unless you’re a breeder)

-Facts, yes. Ideas/methods, nope. I like having the competitive advantage.

-CHECK.

6. Not neat freaks
    -CHECK. (To my demise…at least until I get a personal assistant. One day.)

7. Tend to be unhappy
    -I’m a weird blend of optimistic/energetic and impatient/irritable.

-If it has rules or guidelines, then it’s already been created, and you’re “replicating” instead.

-Check!

-With actions, not money. For instance, building houses in Chile. Travel, meet people, explore a culture, and “do good”, which can be resume-boosting. Best of all worlds.

I maxed out an IQ test in high school, but I don’t think that’s a suitable measure of intelligence, much less success. I’d be much better off if I had a little focus and industriousness.

It may be that intelligent people have some of those characteristics, but I fail to see how intelligence would cause any one of those.

Oh, and I’m new by the way. I come from the INTJforum and thought I’d check this one out and see how my extraverted counterparts operate.

Let’s see… We are ‘ENTJs’ here, so I’ll pass the “oh, I’m not so smart” crap you need to speak to regular people. Moving on…

0 Handwriting -> My calligraphy looks like a normal person’s… on crack.

1. Smaller families -> Only me and Dad, then just me and Mom.

2. Lower meat intake -> Nah, I don’t go a day without some kind of meat, but I do prefer shrimp or salmon.

3. Spay/neuter pets -> No pets.

4. Desire to share what they know -> I guess… at some level… not all people are prepared to everything, though.

5. Lack of belief in God/Religion - I’m an atheist and I strongly belief smart/educated people tend to be more so… this one is actually no news.

6. Not neat freaks -> I like organization on a “mental” level or of work stuff. The “secondary” stuff, like clothes, bed, kitchen stuff, bathroom stuff, etc is pretty messy, unless somebody else takes care of it (I pay somebody to).

7. Tend to be unhappy -> This is to subjective to be accurately answered. Happiness is a worn gun.

8. Prefer to create without rules or guidelines -> True.

9. Enjoy being outside (not necessarily meaning they are outdoorsy people) -> No. I really like indoors. It is more comfortable.

10. Likely to be philanthropic -> I guess… in a way. I’m only philanthropic if I can get to the root of the problem. I don’t do palliatives (like alms and stuff).

I don’t want to be smart. I want to be rich.

All rest of you can be as smart as you can (as long as your money comes to me).

I found the article very well written and quantifies many my of beliefs and perceptions in a short synopsis.

IQ = 141
Handwriting: Legible if I take my time.

1. Smaller families: only child

2. Lower meat intake: Eat a ton of steaks and hamburgers, but then I work out like a crazy person.

3. Spay/neuter pets: I don’t like them to begin with.

4. Desire to share what they know: Ya it is great to see light bulbs turn on

5. Lack of belief in God/Religion: I have seen some interesting stuff that requires either more scientific exploration or medication on my part.

6. Not neat freaks: My house is lived in.

7. Tend to be unhappy: I do seem to see more into things than most. This transparency does seem to take a lot of fun out of things.

8. Prefer to create without rules or guidelines: I like to create outside the box solutions within the framework of rules. It usually poses more intellectual entertainment on my behalf. Of course I can create without rules but it isn’t really challenging or interesting. I am all about mental calisthenics.

9. Enjoy being outside (not necessarily meaning they are outdoorsy people): As long as the activity has purpose, is not mundane, or easily mastered then I enjoy the outdoors. I really tend to get bored staring at fires for prolonged periods of time.

10. Likely to be philanthropic: I do not necessarily like giving money to those who I feel are undeserving. However my wife and I often donate for tax purposes. However, I do believe that there are many forms of wealth and I prefer to give knowledge because it can often lead to greater wealth than just money alone if applied correctly.

No. It probably means that you don’t have an oversized ego.