I will admit that I did deal with this harshly. I apologize if feelings were hurt. This is an area where I am trying to improve. Also, I like the form you put your post in, with the bullet points. I will try to figure that out sometime, probably the "list" feature, but I don't have that much time to fiddle with this right now.
As for my statement that personality is genetic. It is. I have come across a lot of research that suggests this. I will do my best in my free time to find it and post it on here. As for a dominant/recessive situation. If you talk to a Myers Briggs "typologist" (yes, they accredited by some entity somewhere). I'm sure you all have a good grasp of genetics and perhaps just need a quick refresher (my trying to be nice side).
Skin color is created by about 8 different genes working with and against each other, but the result is steady and your skin color is for life.
This could be a way personality is created, by the collaboration of multiple genes for one shown outcome.
When it comes to dominant and recessive genes, it works like this:
You may express a given trait (gene), but your body may have an unexpressed trait (gene) hidden in it unactivated.
When you mate with someone, you have the opportunity to pass along either of these genes equally, regardless of what trait you actually show. So, you may pass along the trait you don't show or the trait you do.
On top of this your partner has a gene they show and a gene they do not show.
When one of your gene, of which you only get to shoot out one (50% chance of this gene being your shown trait or your unseen trait), mixes with your partners gene, the dominant one wins out and is expressed.
Depending on your genes and theirs:
The chance that your trait is expressed is anywhere from 100%-0%. Punnet squares can get very complicated, very quickly.
I think that it comes down to an X gene and a Y gene for the traits of F (Feeling) or T (Thinking).
Women are XX, of which only one X is expressed in any given cell. There is no consistency in which X is expressed, the fathers or the mothers; each cell just picks on its own (unknown reasons as of now). This is called "Silent X." If a woman were to express both X genes, they would die almost immediately due to the complications. Males are XY, in which both the X and Y are used together, with some dominant traits on one gene outweighing genes on the other. Such as testosterone production as apposed to estrogen production. To all of the men out there, you may find this saddening (haha), but the Y gene has about 1-5% (the last time I looked) as many traits as an X gene. The helps making more of you than the Y, which pretty much just gives you a penis, testicles, and a few other things.
Most women, about 85% are feelers, making the other 15% men.
Most men, about 85% are thinkers, making the other 15% women.
This is consistent with T being the dominant trait when X and Y are found together.
As for I/E, N/S, P/J.... I see no correlation in these traits with genes, yet. However, I do know a male F who is a homosexual (and many that aren't). This is not a good amount of information to make an assumption, but I am going to anyway. I believe that if research was done, a larger amount of F type males would be homosexuals (this may be society driven because they connect better with females of which 85% express the F trait, and thus feel that this is who they should act like in order to make their lives happy and fulfilled.
Think about this as well:
When you read the description of your type, why do you think you fit it so perfectly. They found the traits, researched people with the traits, and found similarities. Why do you think ESFP's have such strong emotional responses, emotions are chemicals being released by the body. They have more of them released than a T type, thus making them emotional and us not emotional. You can condition a body to release chemicals and thereby condition someone to be an ESFP, but it is unlikely that people are doing this so perfectly to make all ESFP's nearly identical in their thought processes, occupations, and what makes them happy (releasing chemicals).
I believe that type rules how you think, but not what you think. We are doomed for life to think things through a certain way based on our exact (EXACT as in the smallest degree of difference possible) place in the continuum between each type I/E,N/S, etc....
Our unique life experiences will affect what our decisions are, but not how we make them.
In this sense, yes, we are all on a one way stop to our ends who someone could possibly predict, based on exact place in the continuum of each type, if they had all of the questions to be answered and all of our life experiences and results from those experiences for their use. There is no way to get to that end other than by going through those experiences and living your life. If anything I hope that this logic makes sense and should give you a feeling of comfort rather than discomfort. There is no way to improve the world by just stopping what you are doing and calling it quits. We will all have unique life experiences that will take us all in different directions. I feel like I have control of myself and do things the way I think is right, but I would then wouldn't I...
Here is an example from my life to explain this, it is true for me and nobody else due to my unique life experiences (through my eyes only, even twins who experience the same exact situations view them through minutely different positions and thus have different opinions) and my unique place in the continuum between each of the letters in my type:
I had an ENFP mother who instilled in me that hurting animals and stealing are 100% unacceptable. As a child I loved animals, but when my yellow lab chewed up my brand new toy (a blow up toy of some kind), I yelled at him and slapped his butt. My mother rushed in and said it was not his fault, he is just a dog and doesn't know how you feel about your toy and that he should not do it. She explained to me that animals are not in the world to be pets and behave a certain way, if they act in a way that hurts humans it is the human's fault because they have not yet properly trained the animal (nicely) to be a pet, or they treat the animal poorly and it becomes "bad." This makes complete sense to me and has stuck with me for life. HOWEVER, she also believes that we should all be giving homeless people money whenever they ask, I believed this for a long time because of her... But, through my life experiences I found this to be a big mistake because they do not use it for self improvement, but rather for drugs and alcohol (more often than not) which digs them a deeper hole to climb out of.
*In this case, I made decisions based on reasoning rather than emotional feelings about them. If I had been trying to train animals and was just constantly mean to them, eventually I would figure out that this didn't work in creating a loving well behaved pet. I would move on to different strategies and eventually come to the conclusion that being nice and training them properly would get my desired end result, if I did not quit on the way. Because of my logic and reasoning, I would not watch a homeless person turn my five dollars into a bottle of mouthwash and get drunk on it... and then give them another five dollars because I understand that it helps them escape reality momentarily and makes them feel better. My long term thinking leads me to believe that giving this homeless person another five dollars will be detrimental to their success in finding happiness, so I don't give any bum money.... just the ones with obvious mental handicaps (they are to be treated the same way as animals; with kindness and proper help due to their extreme "problem").
If there are spelling or grammar errors in this, I don't care right now. I do not have time to proofread this, and it has taken up too much of my time already. I hope you enjoyed my thoughts, and please feel free to make arguments. I will retaliate to calling my reasoning "retarded" though.
I will put this in my profile eventually, but just to give you some insight into me:
I do have a family
I do Love and Care about the things and people that I feel deserve it
I have many friendly acquaintances, but very few close friends that I trust with the term "friend"