it might be possible for you to skip going to college.
the plan of attack?

before starting high school - find out what is required of college graduates to get hired at the place you want to have your career. like chess, think like you are already a few moves ahead. perhaps you won't like the catch 22 of those with their framed piece of paper on the wall, but can't get hired because they have no job experience, or you also don't want to ever have to pay a student loan payment. whatever your reasons, find out what is required knowledge/skills for your career.

for high school - start by taking college prep honors classes and vocational technical classes at the same time. then switch to an apprentice program sometime during the second half of your high school education. tailor your college prep classes as you go along to compliment your vocational techinical classes/apprenticeship/desired employment.

as an apprentice - soak up ALL the knowledge that the employer and the various employees teach you! the employer will be investing years and dollars into training you. make sure you do the actual job very well. present the employer with the terms of them keeping you as a full time employee.

this was what i did. i went from graduating high school to the top position in my field in less than ten years. no college. your high school guidance counselor will not agree with this plan, probably not many here on this forum either. i calculated the risks involved and found them acceptable, and i am very happy with the results.
i hope that this experience helps somebody else. :sunglasses:

So what career? What's your position now?

Most companies I've worked in Software Engineering have strict college/university degree policies. (and have never hired high school students).

In my experience the only way to skip college and be financially successful is to be an entrepreneur, born into wealth, or master a desirable trade outside of the traditional corporate world, i.e. servers, graphic design, etc. Otherwise, it's a losing battle.

My personal dilemma is that I sat at the educational crossroads and had possibilities of everything from going and becoming a mechanic, to working my way up the ladder to a good MBA school, and I realized the reason I felt I needed to look into everything: it was because I COULD. I examined why I felt like this more, and realized I absolutely hate school for what it is to me, and I chose not to go back, regardless of other peoples ideas of what I should do.

Here’s the part where I’m hoping somebody has experience to lend me, I now know I need to work for myself and keep a dynamic model until I find what I want, and I plan to move out to CT in a few months to start a company with a friend who feels about the same as me. My question is: Now what? I guess I’m asking how people cope with being stuck in a position where they need to be patient before they can make their move. I have classic ENTJ impatience and I can find nothing here and now to dedicate myself to, and the only jobs I’ve found are increasingly unappealing compared to the ideas I have for what I’m trying to build. Has anyone else here experienced this frustrating in-between phase?

Yes, absolutely, several times, including presently. My solution has been to do what is necessary while planning to leverage into doing what I want. The last time I made a transition, I worked at my day job, then researched my targeted industry at nights and on weekends (at that time I was picking between import/export and commercial real estate). I spoke with any and everybody I could contact in those fields, soaked up information like a sponge, applied it to more homework and some pilot projects. Most of the pilot projects failed, but eventually one made sense, I pursued it on the side, and when my ducks were in a row, walked into my boss’s office and quit, to start my own business. Took 2 years to do all that, and it was quite frustrating till the last 6 months, when things began to finally make sense.

Now, a few years later, I’m trying to figure out how to branch into a different industry, and its different, because I have a helpful business partner. But the challenges are still time management/ feasibility/ information/ knowledge. Again, last 18 months have been frustrating, but things are become slightly clearer now. We’ll see where it goes!

I think skipping college is a brave but smart move, if you apply yourself and have a plan. You will certainly need some education to make it in the world, but self-education should take you a very long way, and the rest can be acquired on the job.

Also, I think formal/ traditional higher education is a bubble with very poor return on investment. Actually, my own dream is to eventually participate in the reinvention of the educational system into a much more practical and vocational (i.e. apprenticeship based) culture.

So yes, I agree with Michael above. I also have strong opinions about necessary skills that the educational system currently refuses to impart (perhaps on purpose?) but thats a story for a different post!

The key is to not get distracted into ‘playing the game’ for the sake of playing the game, but to instead focus on answering the question: “What do I want to see grow?” or, “What do I want to create?”. The game is the means to make something grow, the game is not the goal. Looking at it this way seems to fix the impatience problem for an ENTJ (at least its working for me!)

Don’t stop your career in College. You will difficult to find a job if you are only graduated in high school. The best option that I recommend to you are to take a vocational course.

I tested out (all 120 credits). It took 11 months, and I was working full time as well.

It can be done.