MBTI and ADD

I was in a conversation lately and the person said that I classify people by their MBTI personalities. And they went on to say their husband and son have classic symptoms of ADD.
I personally dislike labeling people so much so that we taught our children to prevent any possibility of them ever being labeled. And it worked out well.

As I thought about the conversation I realized that MBTI is not really about personality but it is about thought processes. What information is taken in, how it is taken it, how it is processed and then how it is utilized

I was told that I did not really understand the ADD subject, so I said “give the title of the book”.
“Is It You, Me or Adult ADD?” I read some of it and found this great difference between MBTI and the ADD proponents: MBTI simply observes and categorizes thought process with no real “normal” model and without condemnation. Whereas ADD tests and then compares the result to the “normal” model which the book states is a very narrow range. Then they offer therapy and medication to bring the individual into the “normal” range.

The number of people found to have ADD has grown greatly with no end insight. Probably due to the fact that the drug companies make billions from the perscriptions given out to not “normal” kids and adults.

Many of you have been at this stuff much longer than I, and I would appreciate your feedback.

mserogerb

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

Marianne Williamson

I ran across this yesterday on this topic. Very interesting

naturalchild.org/guest/david_keirsey.html

mserogerb

People who discredit ADD have probably never dealt with the real thing. My son has ADHD and many other problems. He has clearly had it from birth. He is the only one of my offspring to have it. He is on medication and without it, he would definately not be able to manage himself very well. His distraction levels were very high and still are at times.
I don’t think MBTI has anything to do with ADD. ADD is a chemical imbalance. MBTI is a thought process type: correct. But it is also a part of who we are. We still remain who we are if the chemicals are adjusted. But the way we work does not change.

That’s very true. I have a good friend with ADD, and you can tell that he’s not just easily distracted. There are times his life would go downhill fast if there weren’t people looking out for him. I’d at minimum need both hands to count the times me or somebody else have made sure he didn’t forget something really important.

I can empathize with him a little bit, but what I find funny is that he says his medication does wonders for him, and he finds that it doesn’t hinder him in any way, yet when I asked him why he isn’t using it, he told me he always forgets. I think if anything, NT’s should be a little resistant to symptoms of ADD and ADHD, as they seem more likely to think up systems that could counteract it.