MBTI really has been screwing with my head...

I’ve been reading your posts and I think your only problem is YOU.

You need to see a psychologist or a psychiatrist fast. I mean this in the best way possible. The sooner you see one, the better.

Forget about psychologists and psychiatrists. Most people just can’t deal with reality. That why they perceive you as ill. It is them who is the most disillusioned and out in touch with reality.Their reality is dead end.

Well, I myself have BIG problems with people wearing white aprons (docs lab technicians). They are the most disillusioned people on this planet. Not speaking about their psychpathic and sadistic tendencies to rob you to your socks and make sure that you come to them next time with whatever you have left at hands.

I approach them very sceptically. And expect very little benefit in return.

You want to know a funny thing about strong ENTJ’s? They are like women, more than one in the same room, and all hell breaks loose. Every single one of them want to be in charge, they want to be right, and for the rest of us, we are left to snicker as the gunfire pours through streams of words angrily.

From what I have seen, you may very well be more extroverted than you want to believe. Remember, it does not always have to deal with how often you hang out with people. I know my INTJ’s and they do not come across quite like you do. Sorry. This is one perspective, however, feel free to gain more. :wink:

Well first off Zeliar I’d like to suggest that you don’t live your life based off of hasty generalizations.

You say that you’ve never met another INTJ, then draw the conclusion that all INTJs and ENTJs simply don’t get along and that’s the truth of it.

Secondly, seems like your life is filled with discontent, alienation, and a general hatred for most of humanity.

Perhaps one of your top priorities should become a general assessment of all your issues with others and with life and a brainstorming session for possible applicable solutions to these.

BTW, a psychiatrist will never be able to help you if you go into the room with the preconceived notion that all psychiatrists are useless. I’ve seen a couple therapists myself (just to learn healthy ways to deal with emotional problems) and I’ve learned that if you go in with an open mind you can really, truly learn/benefit a lot. Psychology isn’t just a bunch of mumbo jumbo

The psychology was never in question. The psychiatrists are.

Wasabi you love trolling don’t you?

In essence, psychiatrists practice applied psychology. You can’t predict every psychiatrist’s performance in the world based on a couple bad examples. I’ve noticed this time and time again – certain people are more susceptible to treatment from therapists/psychiatrists – and those people are the ones who are more open to it. So the solution would be simply this: learn to be more open to it.

Is there any other way to prevail over what seems to be chronic-troll-under-the-bridge ism / depression / an array of social disorders? Yeah – a self-analysis / reconstruction of your life – but that’s the other option I mentioned.

I do think there are some systemic issues with psychiatry as practiced in the US. My understanding is that because medicare/medicaid/insurance reimbursements are available only for medication and not cognitive therapy, most psychiatrists here are trigger happy on brain-chemical-altering medication, and generally don’t get compensated adequately for actually hearing out the patient’s psychological issues.

David Keirsey (yes, ‘the’ Keirsey) has a number of essays on the topic:
http://professorkeirsey.wordpress.com/tag/madness/

In them, he basically argues that most modern psychiatric treatment has been designed to ‘disable’ the patient and subdue symptoms, rather than pursue a cure.

I’ve unfortunately known a few people close to me with serious psychological issues like depression, bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder etc. and in most cases the professional help they got consisted of various types of medication, wheras all they needed was psychological evaluation and personal re-examination/resolution of some of their internal conflicts. Which would also mean that they should have ideally seen psychologists rather than psychiatrists, but I believe the insurance issues were the problem (inability to get reimbursement for psychology sessions).

If anybody here is interested, I think books by Nathaniel Branden (one of the greatest psychologists of the 20th century, almost definitely an INTP) address the vast majority of the most common psychological issues I have observed through my life experience. Secondly, I would add books by Tal Ben Shahar, himself probably an ENTJ as guidance specially suited for over-achieving, hard-pushing, frustrated/depressed ENTJs. Lastly, on a tactical level of how to address some specific manifestations of issues, I found “Survival Games” by Eve Delunas (one of Keirsey’s top students) to be outstanding.

Twist it whatever you like. This place isn’t a place where you can make sufficient explanations anyway. You will have to suffice with whatever you got. I was willing to give headline the issue. If you don’t get it, then you don’t.

Ah, thanks ComplexMango – good points; I often make the silly mistake of mixing psychologists and psychiatrists.

I’m gonna look into those books as well – one of my close friends has BorderlinePD and no therapy has worked for her yet; been trying to administer my own therapy (probably not the best idea…) but it seems to have worked to a certain extent. She still gets BPD tendencies but her outbreaks are far less severe than they were several months back – I’ve been looking for good books to further educate myself on the topic

But on a brighter note – I think seeing a therapist or counselor can greatly benefit any NT who experiences emotional instability (which presumably most human beings experience time to time) in terms of taking the professional info / different perspectives offered and finding effective ways to apply them. And therapy is relatively inexpensive.

Often times people will go to therapy hoping to have someone else solve their problems for them or because they were advised to do so and haven’t really given it second thought.

Also, sometimes it’s difficult to see the world in a different light when distorted through a pervasive disorder --in which case you probably should invest in seeing a psychologist. There are some things you can’t put a price on