Why do some people *want* to be ENTJs?

The Facebook ENTJ group is very active, but what is really interesting about it is the constant ‘more ENTJ than thou’ discussions on it.

I’ve never understood why anyone would want to be any temperament more than the other. I would guess everybody thinks they are ‘special’. i.e. Whether you are an ENTJ or an ISFP, even if you are true to type, you have strengths and weaknesses. Why aspire to a completely different temperament - believing you prefer its basket of strengths and weaknesses to your own? Especially because you can’t really know what its like to be a different temperament anyway.

Would be interested to hear anybody else’s opinions on whether it makes sense to aspire to any temperament other than your own?

While I’m not trying to be anything other than what I am, I am making efforts to exercise more of the cognitive modes than what natural tendencies lead me towards.

The top priorities are Sensing and Feeling

Sensing, to ground my Intuiting–concepts need to be connected to the facts that give rise to them. It is the trees that give rise to the forest.

Feeling, to connect me to the values that my ideas and ideals are working towards. Having the Feeling mode explained to me in terms of valuing has me think better of Feelers, they’re not emotionalists, they’re valuers.

The Judging and Introversion have more to do with the preferred source for these modes. I’m working to be more decisive in my life, and I’m finding ways to emerge from my snail shell. Socializing in person still wears me out, unless it’s in a forum where I’m there to discuss brainy topics.

i do think that deep down everyone possess more than 1 personality. what wins over the others would play the dominant role. at some point in time, we let the other person in us wake up and get out. there might be a fight among the personalities in a unique individual. There is nothing like one MBTI type is superior than the others. that’s stupidity if someone believes so! and one might have studied MBTI in a wrong way!
yes, i agree with you that everyone, every type possesses strengths and weaknesses. the differece is that some own more strengths than the others, some know how to strengthen their strengths and weaken their weaknesses, and improve themself, while the others do the opposite. as normal human, we just use around 5% of our brain, the rest is a waste! see that number and we can see that we mostly dont live up to our fulll potential! hence, self actualisation is critical - we know who we are! we believe in ourself, why would we want to be someone else? doesnt that mean we put others so high on pedestrian and place ourselves under their feet? it’s foolish!

This really resonates with me as my N and T are quite dominant. My N can get too far ahead of itself, and checking up more would be a good skill. Similarly, my tolerance and acceptance of feelers could use some work. I don’t think it’s really a skill that I need, but with how many F’s in the world, it seems like a worthwhile investment in time. Learning the slightest adjustments in conversation can make the world when talking to F types.

As far as wanting to be ENTJ goes, I can understand how the type get’s into the spotlight. I think I’d like to be more of an ENTJ in some ways, but in other ways, I think I’d like to be like any other type.

I don’t think it makes any sense to aspire to any temperament, but it makes a lot of sense to try to fill in the gaps that your temperament could have left you with.

Some temperaments have greater strengths while others don’t. ENTJ’s tend to be well accomplished in what they do, and be proud of it. This is appealing to others who aren’t I think. Being able to make confident decisions quickly and taking control of time and our worlds would be appealing I think. Confidence is always an attractive personality trait. So is organization. I can only suppose that these are attractive qualities in the sense that you are referring to.

i think you are right!

I always find the people who aspire towards INTP interesting. In reality, they are usually an ISFP wishing they had the analytic ability but not quite enough currently to realize the horrible implications it would have.