ENTJs - nurtured or genetic?

MBTI, Keirsey Temperament Sorter, Socionics etc. and its application to ENTJs and others

ENTJs - nurtured or genetic?

Postby yulewitch » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:39 am

I've just diagnosed my family:

Brother ENTJ
Sister ESTJ
Father ENFJ
Mother ISFJ

and I am interested to know how much of a person's MB personality is nurtured and how much is genetic? :shock:
yulewitch

MBTI Type: ENTJ

Re: ENTJs - nurtured or genetic?

Postby Wasabi Ver 2 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:55 am

70% genetic. 30% nurtured.
Apathy is treason. Ignorance is not bliss, it's enslavement.
Wasabi Ver 2

Postby lamer » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:55 am

Wasabi Ver 2 wrote:70% genetic. 30% nurtured.

i think temperament is influenced by both factors. but how are you so sure of the percentage?
Per timorem ambulate! Flammam in anima ardete! Longa et obcura nox a prima luce superabitur.
lamer

Postby Wasabi Ver 2 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:05 am

lamer wrote:

i think temperament is influenced by both factors. but how are you so sure of the percentage?

Learned it in high school in Psychology class.
Apathy is treason. Ignorance is not bliss, it's enslavement.
Wasabi Ver 2

Postby lamer » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:30 am

Wasabi Ver 2 wrote:
lamer wrote:

Learned it in high school in Psychology class.

i think the genetic factor plays more important role than the nurtur. But i dont know how can they come to that exact percentage? any science test?
Per timorem ambulate! Flammam in anima ardete! Longa et obcura nox a prima luce superabitur.
lamer

Postby juilletmercredi » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:26 pm

That's actually incorrect from a psychological perspective.

Current research speculates that personality is about 50% heritable and about 50% learned.

(I'm getting my PhD in social psychology, btw.)
juilletmercredi

Postby jayne » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Hypothetical: At an early age, you notice your child exhibits temperament traits of say, for instance, an NT. What might a parent do to encourage this child to develop ENTJ traits? Or what if you wanted an INTP in the family? :D

Seriously though, would it be ethical to do this? It's been a life long belief of mine that children don't have enough autonomy to develop and follow their own natural curiosities. (especially in our schools) Does a society need more of a particular type? How might the type stats that occur naturally in a population be better balanced to improve our advancement as a species? What might the risks and unintended consequences be?

http://www.theanconas.com/MBTI/mfstats.htm
Marvel at something
jayne

Postby llBradll » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:49 pm

jayne wrote:Seriously though, would it be ethical to do this? It's been a life long belief of mine that children don't have enough autonomy to develop and follow their own natural curiosities. (especially in our schools) Does a society need more of a particular type? How might the type stats that occur naturally in a population be better balanced to improve our advancement as a species? What might the risks and unintended consequences be?

As far as ethics go, it would seem ethical to mold your child into what you them being the most successful as, so long as it makes them happy and it's in their own interests. There's obviously a line between guiding a child, and pushing/pressuring them, but the line would be different for different people. I'd opt to interfere as little as possible, so long as they don't appear to need a nudge or two, and they aren't neglecting one preference or another.

I remember a thread regarding what types we need more and less of, and the big thing I remember agreeing on was that intuition needs to be nurtured more. People need to think more of the big picture and the long term, and focus a bit less on the here and now. Aside from that, F vs T, P vs J, and I vs E were all options with significant evidence to support both sides.

What do you have to say about the topic?
llBradll

MBTI Type: iNTj

Postby jayne » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:34 am

It's a fun thing to contemplate but from my own experience in parenting, babies aren't blank slates on which we can write and prescribe how we want them to be. When my son was born, his need for sleep was extremely low for his newborn stage of life, and he was a very light sleeper. We literally tip-toed around the house in order for him to get his nap. Well meaning advice we received was to just turn up the music and run the vacuum cleaner when he was napping, to "train" him to sleep more deeply. lol While that worked for someone else's baby, it was a disaster for us!

It surely would be unethical to undertake personality type engineering, there's way to much potential for risk and abuse. I suppose it could be done with the help of a professional and justified in cases of a personality imbalance of sorts. We are better off following the lead of the child's own preferences and supporting strengths and interests as we become aware of them. Let's love and accept our kids for who they are, otherwise a child could interpret this as rejection. Better to work within the natural order, rather than against it.

A more useful approach would be for educators to take MBTI type and the various learning styles into consideration in curriculum development.
Marvel at something
jayne

Postby narmour » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:04 pm

I refuse to believe that genetics have a larger influence than environmental factors. Half of my genetics I refuse to even acknowledge. All behaviour is learned.
It's true what they say; you don't really know what it is you have until it's gone.
narmour

Next

Return to Psychology and its Applications