Personality Disorders - got any?

MBTI, Keirsey Temperament Sorter, Socionics etc. and its application to ENTJs and others

Personality Disorders - got any?

Postby LeonardoLestat » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:08 am

Last edited by LeonardoLestat on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeonardoLestat

MBTI Type: ISFP

Re: Personality Disorders - got any?

Postby Ace_ » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:40 pm

I had social phobia for quite some time but I've mostly grown out of it.
Ace_

MBTI Type: ENTJ

Postby LeonardoLestat » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:58 pm

Last edited by LeonardoLestat on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeonardoLestat

Postby Iron Mickie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:09 pm

ADHD, my senior year in college, while maintaining a 4.0 (no applause necessary). My girlfriend jokingly suggested that I should go get tested because I wasn't listening to her (lol) and I could never seem to find my keys. I thought about it, researched it, had most of the traits, and set up an appointment to find out for sure.

I went to the appointment, answered the questions, and took the tests.
The doc said I had it... and I said, "Thanks, now I can get away with not listening to my girlfriend."
It's lonely at the top, but the view is simply marvelous... : )
Iron Mickie

Postby LeonardoLestat » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:31 am

LeonardoLestat

Postby Senphi » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:01 am

I haven't been diagnosed, but I think I may be bipolar. I don't think that's a PD though. It's more like depression, right?
I've got some narcissistic traits, as well. Really, I don't think I'm a narcissist. Can't it be enough to simply be brilliant, as I am? Is it so bad to know that you're brilliant? I very rarely brag or even vocalize about my brilliance. And yet, it still becomes a problem for some people. I must say, being introverted does have its downers.
Senphi

MBTI Type: INTP

Postby ComplexMango » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:15 am

Senphi wrote:I haven't been diagnosed, but I think I may be bipolar. I don't think that's a PD though. It's more like depression, right?
I've got some narcissistic traits, as well. Really, I don't think I'm a narcissist. Can't it be enough to simply be brilliant, as I am? Is it so bad to know that you're brilliant? I very rarely brag or even vocalize about my brilliance. And yet, it still becomes a problem for some people. I must say, being introverted does have its downers.

I can't help thinking that an NT should, more than other types, have the ability to 'change their programming'. Have you considered consciously trying to becoming more of an E, for example? I do understand that its possible to be smarter than most people you meet - but if your projection of your smarts seems to interfere with your objectives, have you considered changing your approach?

Note that if you were an 'S' type, or especially 'SFJ', this may not be a worthwhile discussion. But you're in INTP, who I would think would understand the nuances of the situation best, and could conceivably modify your communications/ actions without compromising your authenticity.

I don't mean to troll or point fingers or sound like Captain Obvious - in my own case, for example, I've worked hard on my 'P' for a better quality of life at work and outside work, because my previous super-strong 'J' was simply inaccurate too often for my liking, and off-putting to other people. I just figure you might be able to make a similar change?
"Life gets better if we admit that its already pretty good"
ComplexMango
Site Admin

Postby Senphi » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:45 pm

ComplexMango wrote:I can't help thinking that an NT should, more than other types, have the ability to 'change their programming'. Have you considered consciously trying to becoming more of an E, for example? I do understand that its possible to be smarter than most people you meet - but if your projection of your smarts seems to interfere with your objectives, have you considered changing your approach?

Note that if you were an 'S' type, or especially 'SFJ', this may not be a worthwhile discussion. But you're in INTP, who I would think would understand the nuances of the situation best, and could conceivably modify your communications/ actions without compromising your authenticity.

I don't mean to troll or point fingers or sound like Captain Obvious - in my own case, for example, I've worked hard on my 'P' for a better quality of life at work and outside work, because my previous super-strong 'J' was simply inaccurate too often for my liking, and off-putting to other people. I just figure you might be able to make a similar change?

What's that you say about objectives? I simply prefer to be left alone, for the most part. I suppose that if I had stronger objectives, I might've already endeavored to become more extroverted. To be quite honest, my main weakness is individual people. I'm highly sensitive of the dispositions of others. This sensitivity distracts and prevents me from making stronger objectives. Seems kind of like a vicious circle.
Senphi

MBTI Type: INTP

Postby LeonardoLestat » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:24 am

LeonardoLestat

Postby Iron Mickie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:09 am

Through my own experience, I find that most people who think they are bipolar, or more often joke about "being" bipolar, tend to lean more toward the F characteristic. As a female, Senphi, you are predisposed to being highly subconsciously affected by (F) feelings at times. Apparent mood fluctuation based on who you are around is indicative of F traits being expressed (which we all have at different levels). It could also be more personal... perhaps the individuals remind you of someone or something negative.

Perhaps the coming and going of these feelings, very abruptly, is caused by your supra intelligence. I believe that there are many ways to be highly intelligent; one of these ways is the brain's ability to integrate multiple ideas and concepts while keeping others completely separate, never to be integrated with specific other concepts or memories (to be more efficient, with the flaw of useful information sometimes being withheld). You may understand this better as sometimes you "get it" and sometimes you "don't make the connection" when it is obvious to others. You may not be bipolar, but perhaps just don't make the connection that your emotions have "come out" consistently at times when a certain factor is present...

T's, in my opinion, tend to be rather hard to shake. I believe that what you have said indicates a very strong P, and your T is probably very close to being an F. However, it is possible that your T and F traits could increase in intensity depending on your situation, because they are stored seperately and you use one OR the other for specific situations.
e.g. When you interact, you use a strong F. When you work, you use a strong T.

Overcome your P to fix your problem; start keeping a journal and write a sentence every hour or so. I suspect that your P will prevent you from writing anything down right after an incident, so set an hourly alarm. The exact issue to be overcome will become apparent. After you have defined the specific problem (perhaps what the individual does that upsets you), experiment with different tactics to overcome your problem. Be consistent... your P will fight you the whole way.

.....Just an outsider looking in. I hope this helps.

Good Luck,
Raytheon
It's lonely at the top, but the view is simply marvelous... : )
Iron Mickie

Next

Return to Psychology and its Applications