Am I an ENFP or an ENTJ?

Introspective and Pragmatic: ENTJ, INTJ, ENTP, INTP

Am I an ENFP or an ENTJ?

Postby IAmNumberThree » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:05 am

I have absolutely no idea what I am. There are so many stereotypes of the types and cognitive functions all over the web so I thought about posting a thread here. I find this forum rather helpful. I'm definitely a Te/Fi user and I'm probably an ENxx. Any questions? I'll answer anything. I also grew up in an abusive home which really skews things. I didn't know where else to post this thread by the way.
IAmNumberThree

MBTI Type: ENxx

Re: Am I an ENFP or an ENTJ?

Postby jayne » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:53 pm

I love these questions, like doing a puzzle, haha. Feel free to refine your answers with additional info as you wish. This will nail it down to a few types. I might have to follow it by asking you a few more questions.

1) How old are you? (Approximately)
2) Do you talk a lot?
3) Do you have many friends and acquaintances that you speak to regularly?
4) Do you enjoy parties, being in big groups of people, concerts, festivals, and the like, or are you happier meeting with small groups of friends?
5) Did/do you enjoy school to the point of having a strong interest in higher education?
6) Do you often read nonfiction for pleasure?
7) Are you more likely to be tactful or "say it like it is"?
8) Do you enjoy receiving compliments?
9) When you visit a restaurant for the first time, do you quickly know what you want to order or do you enjoy taking your time to ogle over the menu options?
10) A friend texts you and said "Hey, let's go to: <insert any fun destination>. I'll be over to pick you up in 30 mins". Would you be content to drop what were you were doing and just roll with it, or would you find it disconcerting because plans for the day would be disrupted?
11) Do you have a number of food taste preferences/dislikes, or do you eat most anything you are served?
12) Do you like to debate or would you rather avoid a discussion that could possibly lead to an argument?
13) If you were to find yourself in a situation where strict rules and regulations had to be followed, how much would you mind, if at all?
a) ok with it
b) mildly inconvenienced
c) unhappy
Marvel at something
jayne

MBTI Type: ENTJ

Postby IAmNumberThree » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks!

1. I am 15.
2. I'd rather listen than talk. I do love conversing though.
3. I have acquaintances but I don't have any friends. Not people that I trust or even like that much.
4. The former, I enjoy having fun with people.
5. I don't enjoy school because I don't like anyone particularly but I definitely have a strong interest for higher education.
6. I absolutely love nonfiction! I actually feel productive while not doing much.
7. I'm more tactful although when I was younger, I was super blunt and offensive. I was bullied and I also figured out that if I wanted to be successful in life, I'd have to learn how to polite and non-offensive. I have fairly good social skills now.
8. Who doesn't? I'd split my soul for some constructive criticism every now and then though. I absolutely love detailed constructive criticism because I often am oblivious to details.
9. I might have trouble deciding since there are so many options but I'd want to make a decision as soon as possible.
10. Sure, I'm up for anything fun because I might end up really enjoying it.
11. I definitely am a picky eater. I can't eat greasy food or anything too salty/sugary.
12. I hate arguments/debates because I always end up overwhelmed with the stupidity of others.
13. Depends if the rules make sense. If some don't, I'd end up ignoring them. None of them since it honestly depends.
IAmNumberThree

Postby jayne » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:45 am

IAmNumberThree wrote:Thanks!

1. I am 15.
3. I have acquaintances but I don't have any friends. Not people that I trust or even like that much.
5. I don't enjoy school because I don't like anyone particularly but I definitely have a strong interest for higher education.
6. I absolutely love nonfiction! I actually feel productive while not doing much.
7. I'm more tactful although when I was younger, I was super blunt and offensive. I was bullied and I also figured out that if I wanted to be successful in life, I'd have to learn how to polite and non-offensive. I have fairly good social skills now.
8. Who doesn't? I'd split my soul for some constructive criticism every now and then though. I absolutely love detailed constructive criticism because I often am oblivious to details.
9. I might have trouble deciding since there are so many options but I'd want to make a decision as soon as possible.
11. I definitely am a picky eater. I can't eat greasy food or anything too salty/sugary.
12. I hate arguments/debates because I always end up overwhelmed with the stupidity of others.
13. Depends if the rules make sense. If some don't, I'd end up ignoring them. None of them since it honestly depends.

Thanks, your reply is refreshing. Some people your age have trouble answering questions like this about themselves since adolescence is an age of such rapid growth when we face the daunting task of sorting out who we are going to be as adults. But you did just fine and seem to have a solid sense of self, very articulate too! Nice job!

You come across to me as likely to be a sociable and tactful INFP, especially because you are a good listener. Now let's try to confirm. Read a few INFP profiles and tell us how well it fits you (or not). By the way, I'm not a professional, just a regular lay person who studies MBTI informally.

Portrait of an INFP
http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html

http://typelogic.com/infp.html

http://www.keirsey.com/4temps/healer.asp

http://www.celebritytypes.com/infp.php

Marvel at something
jayne

Postby IAmNumberThree » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:47 am

No problem and thanks! That's nice of you to say. Why INFP? Also, thank you for replying so fast. Hmm while I am a perfectionist, I don't think I care too much about finding the meaning in life. I want to achieve my goals which happen to include being as close as I can to my ideal of perfection. I'm really okay with conflict. A lot of people hold back what they say and I feel that conflict is a good way to solve problems. I definitely have a problem with being realistic. I'm somewhat laid-back but somewhat intense. I can be really unaware of details. I'm the definition of oblivious.
IAmNumberThree

Postby jayne » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:56 pm

IAmNumberThree wrote:No problem and thanks! That's nice of you to say. Why INFP? Also, thank you for replying so fast. Hmm while I am a perfectionist, I don't think I care too much about finding the meaning in life. I want to achieve my goals which happen to include being as close as I can to my ideal of perfection. I'm really okay with conflict. A lot of people hold back what they say and I feel that conflict is a good way to solve problems. I definitely have a problem with being realistic. I'm somewhat laid-back but somewhat intense. I can be really unaware of details. I'm the definition of oblivious.

INFP in part because you seemed fairly certain about being a Te/Fi user. If this wasn't on target, let's not worry about it. You're smart to bring it up for discussion since personality typing is complex and this can be an efficient way to sort it. When I help people discern their type, I look at both the type letter codes and the cognitive functions, which might seem a little chaotic. Bear with me as I mix everything together and let it cook on this page!. :D

1. I am 15.

You approach social interactions as a perceiver. (prefer to absorb information over sharing). I would guess you also need to be quiet to process the content of a conversation, which suggests Ti

Not having friends or even acquaintances you like in your life points toward the introversion letter code

Considering the above answers, I'd say this is neutral, inconclusive

You love learning, (taking in new information) and you're not finding much joy in people and relationships. This sounds sooo much like an INTP statement! :lol:

6. I absolutely love nonfiction!
Points toward the Intuition and Perceiving letter codes and it's something an INTP would typically say
I actually feel productive while not doing much.
Points toward Ti

You say 'more tactful', so this points to Fe. I suspect you have been blunt and offensive in the past due to being bullied.

8. Who doesn't? I'd split my soul for some constructive criticism every now and then though.
You're fairly content with criticism, this points to the Thinking preference. ENTJs are not fond of receiving compliments and can actually be averse to them so this casts some doubt that you're an ENTJ.

I absolutely love detailed constructive criticism because I often am oblivious to details.
Need some clarification here. Do you mean that you are oblivious to details in the external world around you or oblivious to details when analyzing ideas?

Points toward the Perceiver Preference, reluctance to close off options

Points toward the Perceiver Preference, easily jumping at an opportunity that could lead to new information

Eating routines, ("pickiness") points to Si

This is such an INTP thing to say, because they are usually right and not many people can understand the complexities in how they think

Being ok with ignoring rules is typical of what a Perceiver would say.

Consider INTP.

INTP Profile
http://www.personalitypage.com/INTP.html
INTP Careers
http://www.personalitypage.com/html/INTP_car.html
INTP Relationships
http://www.personalitypage.com/html/INTP_rel.html
INTP Personal Growth
http://www.personalitypage.com/html/INTP_per.html

http://www.celebritytypes.com/intp.php
Marvel at something
jayne

Postby IAmNumberThree » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:20 pm

Thank for actually analyzing what I've typed. Too many people just go off of something random. Hmm I was just a really naturally blunt/offensive person to be honest. I'm oblivious to details in the external world. It's odd because I want to make a decision as soon as possible but I also am overwhelmed by how things could go. I'm not trying to dismiss what you're saying but I always related more to Te than to Ti (mostly because I'm not sure how it works) and I definitely identify with Fi over Fe. I'm not really as theoretical as an INTP although I can definitely be dreamy and unconventional. I'm also not shy at all when meeting new people.
IAmNumberThree

Postby jayne » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:21 pm

I feel certain you don't have extroverted sensing as a preference, so I crossed off all Artisan types (SPs) below. I have no doubt that you are a Perceiver so I crossed off the Judgers as well.

The remaining types are: ENTP, ENFP, INTP. and INFP.

A hallmark trait for ENTP is a love of debate, and debate tries your patience so I don't think that fits. ENFPs are driven towards connection to others, (two-way mutual exchange communication). They are very open about themselves, and easy to get to know, and would have many friends, which doesn't seem to fit you. If my conclusions are true so far, I've narrowed it down to INFP or INTP.

Let me know what you think. Feel free to disagree! I could be completely off base here. Remember, I'm an ENTJ so I see debate as a friendly fun thing. :)

Also consider taking my favorite free online test John's Personality Test. I use it often, it's concise and pretty efficient. John did a fantastic job. If you're out there John, thank you!

http://www.25quiz.com/
Marvel at something
jayne

Postby IAmNumberThree » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:33 pm

I'm definitely not an SP. I never live in the moment and I'm not too fond of reality's limitations. I'm not too sure whether I'm a perceiver or not. I hate keeping options open and I'm very work first, play later. Yeah, haha, it's definitely a well-known trait of theirs. I have many acquaintances though. I love small talk but I hate connecting with others since I don't respect anyone that much. Like I know Te's not my inferior so I'd have to be an ENFP but I really don't relate to those descriptions.

Here are my results:
40% ENTJ
21% ENTP
9% INTJ
7% ENFJ
6% ESTJ
IAmNumberThree

Postby jayne » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:09 pm

IAmNumberThree wrote:I'm definitely not an SP. I never live in the moment and I'm not too fond of reality's limitations. I'm not too sure whether I'm a perceiver or not. I hate keeping options open and I'm very work first, play later. Yeah, haha, it's definitely a well-known trait of theirs. I have many acquaintances though. I love small talk but I hate connecting with others since I don't respect anyone that much. Like I know Te's not my inferior so I'd have to be an ENFP but I really don't relate to those descriptions.

Here are my results:
40% ENTJ
21% ENTP
9% INTJ
7% ENFJ
6% ESTJ

Wow, I am surprised since it didn't seem to be heading in the ENTJ direction to me. How well or not do you feel the ENTJ profiles fit you?

My "consultant" is an INTP and he promised to look this thread over when he gets home tonight. I will let you know what he thinks.

In the meantime, if anyone of any type wants to chime in, please help us out.

Thanks for posting IAmNumberThree, I've really enjoyed the thread and getting to know you. :)
Marvel at something
jayne

Next

Return to NTs (Rationals)