What do you guys do for a living/ what are your aspirations

Discussion of your job/ career/ vocation/ passion and ENTJs in the workplace

What do you guys do for a living/ what are your aspirations

Postby DiscoBiscuit » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:47 am

Since this is the ENTJ board, let talk about our professional pursuits.

I'm curious to see what the rest of us are doing with themselves.

I'm going into my second year of law school.

I plan on doing one of three things with my J.D.
1) Go into the private practice and start my own firm focused on litigation
2) Work for the state to be a criminal prosecutor
3) Become a judge eventually
4) hold elected office
“Listen here you beautiful bitch, I'm about to fuck you up with some truth.”
- Kenny Powers -
DiscoBiscuit

MBTI Type: ENTJ

Re: What do you guys do for a living/ what are your aspirations

Postby Ace_ » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:57 pm

I'm a student at a crappy college in my small city. I'm studying computer science. I hope to be an entrepreneur one day, and a politician later.
Ace_

Postby ComplexMango » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:42 pm

I started my first successful business about 4 years ago, made some money and bought partnerships in 4 more, and trying to start another. So far all of this has been in commercial real estate. That means I took a decent hit in this market downturn, but I'm still doing pretty good, knock on wood.

The downturn taught me that:
1. Money isn't as important as I thought - i.e. I don't really need a lot of money to be happy, and since I'm a productive person, I'll always know how to make more than what I need.
2. I've been aiming too low - I need to aim bigger to get back the same excitement I had when I quit a deskjob 4 years ago.

So whats next.... not sure yet. I'd say my aspirations are to do something that is somewhat timeless - i.e. rather than be a major developer, to make a unique contribution to the world: maybe a work of art (movie?), maybe a concept, or an intensely disrupctive business/ technology (I originally have a Computer Science background) - and apply it in my lifetime, etc. I have some ideas, but haven't figured it out yet.

-----------------

What motivated both of you to become politicians? And for what sort of ideologies/ parties?
"Life gets better if we admit that its already pretty good"
ComplexMango
Site Admin

Postby DiscoBiscuit » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:04 pm

Um that's a tough question mango but I'll give it a shot. I think the same personal factor is behind both me wanting to go to law school and wanting to be a politician. Specifically, a deeply ingrained interest in people and what makes them tick. But that's more of a surface motivation because I suspect that this interest in people stems not from any beneficent interest in people but my lifelong attempt to over come my general lack of Fe. More than this, it's my ENTJ drive to give order to systems that pushed me into the law school politician track. In both of these professions one attempts to maximize equity and fairness two concepts that really touch close to home with me.

I'm a libertarian. I was always attracted to the idea that everyone should make their own way and not mooch off the gov't.
“Listen here you beautiful bitch, I'm about to fuck you up with some truth.”
- Kenny Powers -
DiscoBiscuit

Postby ComplexMango » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:32 am

DiscoBiscuit wrote: More than this, it's my ENTJ drive to give order to systems that pushed me into the law school politician track. In both of these professions one attempts to maximize equity and fairness two concepts that really touch close to home with me.

I'm a libertarian. I was always attracted to the idea that everyone should make their own way and not mooch off the gov't.

I'm a libertarian too - so are at least 3 other members on this board (that I know of). I wonder if thats almost inevitable for most NTs?
"Life gets better if we admit that its already pretty good"
ComplexMango
Site Admin

Re: What do you guys do for a living/ what are your aspirati

Postby LeonardoLestat » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:41 pm

Last edited by LeonardoLestat on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
LeonardoLestat

MBTI Type: ISFP

Postby openedskittles » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:13 pm

I am currently going to a highly ranked business school.
Finance matches my personality and interests well.

You guessed it, I'm also a libertarian, and a very hardcore libertarian at that.

I did a survey on another personality site and it seems that the majority of "NT" types would consider themselves Libertarian or Independent, and I suspect it would have been almost everyone if it had just been ENTJs. I found another website, http://www.politicaltypes.com/content/view/24/56/ that also confirms that "NT" types are more likely to not be one of the two major parties. Libertarian answers always leave you with test scores that are a bit on the conservative side when taking tests that evaluate you on liberal vs conservative, and ENTJs were not only least likely to be liberal (modern liberal - democrat; classical liberalism is libertarianism, just to clarify), but ENTJs were also one of the least likely to be democrats out of any of the types.

There is another test I took called "Locus of Control" test which basically measures how much you view success to be a product of luck versus a product of hard work and smart thinking. Naturally, I was extremely in favor of the free will option over luck, which lines up with libertarian ideals nicely.
Last edited by openedskittles on Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
openedskittles

Postby Andantino » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:15 pm

I currently work for a large corporation as an IT analyst. My aspirations are currently undergoing some changes, as I'm propelled into a new direction rather quickly. We'll see.
Andantino

Postby syndatha » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:22 am

I'm a psychotherapy student/SAHM. I'm also head of a spiritual federation - not paid work, but a place to put my leadership abilities to a test. I look upon it as a learning experience, so I don't mind not being paid. My husband provides for me for the time being, so I have the luxury to do whatever I find meaningful. I do want to earn "my own" money quite soon, just have to finish my education and find out how I would like to combine my skills.
Being a therapist is interesting, but I would like to also do some management and teaching if possible. I also like to lead rituals (weddings, funerals etc.) :think:
syndatha

Postby justxher » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:22 pm

I'm an engineering student in a really sweet program, and am considering coupling that with a law degree. I'm not completely sure which way I want to go about it all but I'm definitely interested in project management type roles or consultation. I guess this all makes me a stereotypical ENTJ.
justxher

Next

Return to Work and ENTJs