Do ENTJs prefer how-to reading material?

What appeals to you and why?

Re: Do ENTJs prefer how-to reading material?

Postby Sparky » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:54 pm

Funny how you mentioned it. I'm an addict for how-to books. I probably read more of them than most of the people I know combined.

I've read books about photography, computing, various books about software packages (MS Office, HTML Programming, Photoshop, Illustrator), personal finance, investing, fitness, cooking, sex, psychology, social skills, various random self-help books, time management, career guidance... I also read a bunch of blogs and websites on several of the above subjects.

As a general rule, whenever I decide to learn something new or start a new project, you can bet your ass I'm gonna go on amazon and order a bunch of books on the subject.

It is a great way to learn by the way. The way I see it, why would you want to spend months learning by trial and error if you can buy a book and learn it in a weekend. It gives you a great start on things and you can polish it off with practice and personal experience. It's also much cheaper and time effecient than attending courses or trying to find people who can teach you.
Sparky

MBTI Type: ENTJ

Postby ENTJWoman » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:55 pm

I used to work at a library but always preferred non-fiction to fiction and still do. Most of the library budget seems to be spent on fiction. I particularly hate those wizard tales and Stephen King. Put in down in the 'likes how-to books' category.
ENTJWoman

Postby melodysrhapsody » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:00 pm

i believe ENTJ's in general read material they can benefit from. knowledge is an unending search, we feel it is a waist of time and energys to read fiction. The books I read this week were
1. The Power of Pause
2. Nobel
3. The 50th Law
geat books, all I think are great reference books in one way or another. if i cant learn something from them, i have little interest. Knowledge is power, if its accurate knowledge.
melodysrhapsody

MBTI Type: entj

Postby ComplexMango » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:45 pm

melodysrhapsody wrote:i believe ENTJ's in general read material they can benefit from. knowledge is an unending search, we feel it is a waist of time and energys to read fiction. The books I read this week were
1. The Power of Pause
2. Nobel
3. The 50th Law
geat books, all I think are great reference books in one way or another. if i cant learn something from them, i have little interest. Knowledge is power, if its accurate knowledge.

I agree - fiction seems like a luxury, and of far lower importance than something that can be 'useful'. On that note, I've recently been reading
"4 Hour Work Week" - apparently the one out is the 'new expanded' version.

Sounds gimmicky, but its not. Highly recommended. Was on track for much of the stuff he talks about already - was pleasantly surprised to discover that the author was one step ahead, and offered some excellent how-tos (and case studies) for:
  • Effective Time Management
  • Working (a lot) fewer hours
  • 'Extreme' automation and systemization
  • An alternative view on work: rather than putting in your time to earn an early retirement, he prescribes mutiple 'mini-retirements' interspersed through every couple years or so of your life. Interesting approach, and very good food for thought. Compelling logic.
"Life gets better if we admit that its already pretty good"
ComplexMango
Site Admin

Postby JHBowden » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:11 pm

x
Last edited by JHBowden on Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JHBowden

MBTI Type: ISFP

Postby LeonardoLestat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:32 am

Last edited by LeonardoLestat on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
LeonardoLestat

Postby LeonardoLestat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:33 am

Last edited by LeonardoLestat on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeonardoLestat

Postby bowdowntome » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:19 am

I might be the youngest entj on here.
In high school I took Ap English. This was a lot of reading. I could never finish a book. yet I would go to my room and spend hours reading how-to books.

I would have to say i prefer how-to reading material.
bowdowntome

Postby wiarumas » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:35 pm

I guess I'm the different one here! I hate how to books. They are too dry and data packed for me.

I like science fiction (by Philip K Dick especially) for the most part. They touch on so many themes pertinent to everyday life and help me escape from reality since 99% of my life I take way too seriously. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Martian Time Slip, I Robot, Fight Club, etc.

Science Fiction, I feel, is more related to people, society, and philosophy more than anything else.
wiarumas

Postby ComplexMango » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:08 pm

wiarumas wrote:I guess I'm the different one here! I hate how to books. They are too dry and data packed for me.

I like science fiction (by Philip K Dick especially) for the most part. They touch on so many themes pertinent to everyday life and help me escape from reality since 99% of my life I take way too seriously. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Martian Time Slip, I Robot, Fight Club, etc.

Science Fiction, I feel, is more related to people, society, and philosophy more than anything else.

Thats funny, when it comes to fiction, I find science fiction very relaxing, lets my mind wander and expand. Its really the only type of fiction I read anymore, though in the past I've enjoyed Salman Rushdie and Ayn Rand (I think Michael Lewis - Liars Poker etc - counts as semi-fiction). I like Asimov, haven't really explored Philip Dick yet.
"Life gets better if we admit that its already pretty good"
ComplexMango
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Art, Music, Sports & Entertainment