Do ENTJs prefer how-to reading material?

What appeals to you and why?

Re: Do ENTJs prefer how-to reading material?

Postby kenza010 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:51 pm

Yeah, I prefer foreign language books, fantasy, and dark classics. My favorite books are Les Miserables, Wicked, and The Pit and The Pendulum.
kenza010

MBTI Type: ENTJ

Postby PoodleSyndrome » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:07 pm

Resurrecting a thread!

I like to read. I have a few books going at the same time. I read non fiction, biographies, science, psychology and astronomy. I also read fantasy, science fiction, 20th century literature and modern literature. I don't like Jane Austen or anything from that time or genre. I am not a fan of women's fiction.

I read a lot of books on subjects that I am interested in learning like photoshop. I totally agree with the poster about reading a book about is far cheaper than attending a course. In my experience the ability learn from books only happens if you are above average IQ, I met a trainer and also noticed that people with university degrees or better fare better with self study with books, whereas the others have a very hard time following diagram and instructions. Does anyone know more about this? Is this about IQ, learning styles or reading skills?

I noticed something. The women who responded in this thread tend to read more fiction than the men. I think across the board whatever MBTI type, more women read fiction than men. I was amused to find out that the most profitable genre of books is romance!! What I feel is that fiction seems to be considered frivolous, but there are loads of books out there that are thinly disguised as fiction that are really social commentaries or delve into some serious topic. For example, Philip Pullman's trilogy the Golden Compass, though written for a young audience is really about the author's take on organised religion.
The smartest dog is .... a Border Collie.
PoodleSyndrome

Postby lamer » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:57 am

i love reading, varied to many types of books/subjects and authors. i lean toward a visual learner than an audio learner. ie. i devour books better by reading rather than listening to the tape, especially paper ones, as i can skip the main idea, highlight and make comments on them easier. i think reading habit and tenacity come partially from gene. i notice that most of my maternal family members are all book reading, we value education very highly. so there used to be always tons of books ready for me to read since my childhood. Even i couldnt read much those times, i still could see the pictures. :D
PoodleSyndrome wrote:In my experience the ability learn from books only happens if you are above average IQ, I met a trainer and also noticed that people with university degrees or better fare better with self study with books, whereas the others have a very hard time following diagram and instructions. Does anyone know more about this? Is this about IQ, learning styles or reading skills?
[quote="PoodleSyndrome"]
I think IQ helps with processing information, i.e helps learn/study better( mostly you should get above average IQ to pass the uni. program and above). but IQ does not relate to tenacity- makes people want to read/learn.( for eg my ENFP ex bf has IQ of above 140, and he doesnt like reading at all, although he is very very smart and intellectual).
Maybe higher IQ people would read faster and think faster, hence walk very fast? ( i read on socionics visual skill that says ENTJs have a very tense and strike way of walking, i.e they walk really fast- this is a big indicator that show people who has a very fast way of thinking and enthusiatic- which is very suitable with ENTJ characteristic). this explains why most ENTJs are very tenacity and intellectual/ smart.
Per timorem ambulate! Flammam in anima ardete! Longa et obcura nox a prima luce superabitur.
lamer

Postby Go! Go! Go! » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:25 am

I read a great book once which suggested eight different topics for kids to borrow from the library weekly for a well grounded education. These included how to's, biographies, history, cultural, practical etc. and appeal to all interests. I like this because to me everything has to be balanced and everything has to matter.
I read little because it has to have some practical relevance to my life. Fiction.....if I have a day or week to bask in the sun and submerge for a while then ok, because once I pick it up, I won't put it down til it's read. In more detail I read the jacket first, the first and last pages next, skim through the chapters, then if it looks like it has enough other content to captivate me and make my time wastage worthwhile, then I read it thourougly.
I too have had several books going at once in the past, usually from three or four different genres of writing. I don't have as much time now and get really frustrated when manuals don't give clear pictures that tell 1000 words and I have to waste time sifting through the words. I also don't like monotony or boredom. As a child I liked mystery stories and choose your own adventure books because they were more personal to me. I suppose it is all about personal relevance to me and my family. I've read multitudes of books on child raising.....just about all on offer. But I haven't read much else for a while. Text books connected with study, yes. etc.
So my suggestion is to think about what your husband needs and wants to learn and try that.
Go! Go! Go!

Postby mserogerb » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:12 pm

I used to read SciFi when I was in High school, but at about 21 decided to read what I could learn from

Try Taylor Cauldwell's Growing Up Tough
The Old man and the Boy.
The Tipping Point
Intrepid
Anything on Passive solar energy
Andy Andrews books
Seasons of Life by Jim Rohn

mserogerb
mserogerb

Postby ComplexMango » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:34 am

mserogerb wrote:I used to read SciFi when I was in High school, but at about 21 decided to read what I could learn from

Try Taylor Cauldwell's Growing Up Tough
The Old man and the Boy.
The Tipping Point
Intrepid
Anything on Passive solar energy
Andy Andrews books
Seasons of Life by Jim Rohn

mserogerb

Hey - have you read Taylor Caldwell's 'Pillar of Iron'? It made a big impression on me in high school, still like the book.
"Life gets better if we admit that its already pretty good"
ComplexMango
Site Admin

Postby mserogerb » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:45 am

No I have not read that one but it now has been added to the list of books to buy next time at Amazon.

Taylor Cauldwell's book The Captains and The Kings was made into a long TV movie or series.

mserogerb.
mserogerb

Postby cfin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:15 pm

I am an ENTJ, and fit all the criteria, especially having issues with incompetent superiors. I do disagree though, in saying that we don't enjoy fiction. I love the song of ice and fire series of books. Although it does take me years to finish one Novel, I eventually get there.

Career wise, I am stuck in an accounting job, have a law degree but need to still take the bar exam, and have worked across numerous industries. I am thinking about going into law enforcement in a private investigator style role. Any thoughts?
cfin

Postby Archon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:39 am

I'd say about 99% (probably more, to be quite honest) of what I read is non-fiction. There is some fiction I enjoy, of course, but I'm not really motivated to seek it out. My method is more like this; I'll hear about the way something is or how it works, then I'll abstract the gist of what's going on and check back with my source (if it's a person telling me this) to see if I understand it. If I do, I'll start using the principle(s) I've gained to effect results in the real world; what usually happens is that the principle gets refined and made more fluid in my general way of doing things, and becomes a part of the background of my thoughts.

When I DO read fiction, I typically do it because I like to analyze the characters and their motivations, and predict the likely flow of the story. So, I generally tend to enjoy reading stories with emotionally complex, intelligent characters, intricate plots, and subtle relationships that I can spend weeks dissecting.
Archon

MBTI Type: INTJ

Postby PamSeattle » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:46 pm

I do not prefer how to material, but will read instructions if I can't figure it out myself. I am not a mechanical person and sometimes have difficulty with mechanical instructions, but I can do almost anything technical. I used to read only non-fiction and science fiction. Now I mainly read fantasy and science fiction. I have to escape from reality to survive normal life.
PamSeattle

MBTI Type: XXXX

PreviousNext

Return to Art, Music, Sports & Entertainment